Spray tanning has become a popular way to achieve a sun-kissed GLOW without the harmful effects of UV rays.
It’s a great tool to get that perfect, healthy, golden color in a short amount of time, which can be great when you have an event to prepare for, or if you’re just tired of being tan only half the year!
There are several benefits to spray tanning over conventional tanning methods:.
- Protection from UV rays: One of the biggest advantages of spray tanning is that it eliminates the need to expose your skin to harmful UV rays! This can significantly reduce the risk of skin damage and lower your risk of developing skin cancer. Additionally, limiting UV exposure helps s l o w d o w n the aging of your skin! (Who doesn’t want that?!)
- Quick and easy: Unlike traditional tanning methods, spray tanning is a quick and hassle-free process! You can typically achieve a natural-looking tan in just a few minutes, and there’s no need to spend hours lying in the sun or in a tanning bed.
- Customizable: Another advantage of spray tanning is that you can customize the shade and intensity of your tan. Some solutions allow you to gradually build up your tan over time, while others can be tailored to your skin tone for a more natural-looking result.
While there are several benefits to spray tanning, it’s important to know that spray tans require very regular touch ups if you want to maintain the color.
Types of Spray Tanning Solutions
There are two main types of spray tanning solutions: DHA and erythrulose. DHA (dihydroxyacetone) is the most commonly used ingredient in spray tanning solutions and is made from sugar cane. Erythrulose is a similar ingredient that works by reacting with the amino acids in the top layer of your skin to produce a tan. Both of these ingredients are FDA-approved and safe to use, although some people may experience minor skin irritation.
At GLOW, we use Norvell tanning products which use DHA solution. Their solution is great for providing a natural – not orange – looking tan. With proper care, their tan will last 5-7 days. We also carry a variety of their self tanning products to help you maintain your GLOW even longer!
Before you book your first appointment, it’s important to prepare properly to ensure the best results. Make sure you’ve followed these steps before arriving for your spray tan:
- Exfoliate: Exfoliating your skin before your appointment will help to remove any dead skin cells, which can interfere with the absorption of the tanning solution.
- Shave: Shaving or waxing should be done at least 24 hours before your appointment to allow time for the pores to close. This will reduce the risk of irritation and help to ensure an even tan.
- Wear loose clothing: After your appointment, you should avoid tight clothing that may rub against your skin and cause streaks. Instead, wear loose, dark clothing that won’t transfer dye onto your skin!
- Avoid moisturizing: On the day of your appointment, avoid using any moisturizing products, as they can interfere with the absorption of the tanning solution. You also want to make sure to avoid using bar soaps, high ph shower products, or in shower moisturizers. While moisturizing your skin in the days following your tanning session can make it last longer, applying moisturizers and lotions can interfere with the bronzing spray absorbing into your skin.
- Don’t wear make up: If you have some on prior to your appointment make sure you remove it before tanning to ensure more even coverage.
- Use Deodorant Sparingly: We understand no one likes smelling poorly, but deodorant can sometimes react with the solution to turn your underarms a less desirable green color, so make sure to use only a small amount.
Not only should you follow the aforementioned pre-appointment instructions, but to get the most out of your tan you need to make sure you also adhere to these post-care instructions:
- Avoid water: Avoid showering, swimming, or sweating for at least 8 hours after spray tanning to allow the solution to set.
- Moisturize: Regular moisturizing can help extend the life of your spray tan and prevent dry, flaky skin.
- Pat dry: When showering, pat yourself dry instead of rubbing as this can cause streaks.
- Avoid exfoliating: Avoid exfoliating or using products with harsh chemicals for at least a week after spray tanning.
All things considered, spray tanning is the best way to get your GLOW on without the harmful effects of the sun. We’re so excited to be bringing this service to our new space in the spring. Emily (@hair.spray_andglow), can’t wait to bronze the Northern Virginia area so make sure to book your appointment in our new space!
Leave A Comment