Apart from being a holiday that commemorates the Mexican army’s victory over the French in 1862, many people often host parties to celebrate for Cinco de Mayo. If you are looking to host an amazing Cinco de Mayo party this year, here are some easy tips to help you plan a great party – and check the end of the blog for a great Mole Poblano recipe!
- Create a festive atmosphere
The first step to hosting an amazing Cinco de Mayo party is to create a festive atmosphere. You can do this by decorating your home with Mexican-inspired decorations such as papel picado (cut paper banners), sombreros, maracas, and colorful tablecloths. A lot of those decorations are easy and fun DIY projects that can transform a space on a budget! Another great way to set the mood is to find a good playlist! There are tons of pre-curated playlists that can be found on all your favorite music streaming platforms. 🙂
- Serve traditional Mexican food and drinks
No Cinco de Mayo party is complete without traditional Mexican food and drinks. Some popular dishes include tacos, guacamole, salsa, quesadillas, and churros. You can also serve margaritas, tequila shots, or Mexican beer to get your guests in the party spirit. One way to really impress your guests is with a great mole poblano! Mole Poblano is a delicious savory sauce made with both chile and chocolate. Check the bottom of this blog for a great recipe!
- Plan fun activities
To keep your guests entertained, plan some fun activities that are related to Cinco de Mayo. You can have a piñata filled with candy, play a game of Loteria (Mexican bingo), or have a salsa dancing competition. You can also set up a photo booth with fun props such as sombreros, mustaches, and maracas. Just be sure to keep in mind who it is you’re inviting and what kinds of activities will appeal to everyone. There’s nothing wrong with just hanging out, eating good food, drinking good drinks, and enjoying each others company either!
4. Send your guests home with a party favor
To thank your guests for coming to your party, send them home with a party favor! It’s important to consider the audience you’re getting favors for, but mini piñatas and airplane bottles of tequila or scratch off cards can be a simple favor for an adult party.
It’s all about creating a fun and festive atmosphere, serving delicious food and drinks, planning fun activities, and encouraging your guests to have a good time and enjoy themselves!
Mole Poblano Recipe:
- 5-6 dried ancho chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 slice of white bread, torn into pieces
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 oz Mexican chocolate
- Salt to taste
- 2 dried pasilla chilies
- 2 dried mulato chilies
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Start by removing the stems and seeds from the dried chilies. To do this, cut off the stem and shake out as many of the seeds as you can. Then, tear the chilies into small pieces.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic, and cook until they are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the torn chilies to the pot, along with the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, and oregano. Cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly, until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the raisins, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and torn bread to the pot. Cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly, until the nuts and seeds are lightly toasted.
- Add the sugar, apple cider vinegar, diced tomatoes, and chicken broth to the pot. Stir well to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes, or until the chilies are soft and the sauce has thickened.
- Add the Mexican chocolate to the pot and stir until it has melted and incorporated into the sauce.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the sauce until it is smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can transfer the sauce to a blender and blend in batches.
- Season the sauce with salt to taste.
- Serve the mole poblano over chicken, turkey, or pork. It can also be served over rice or as a dipping sauce for tortilla chips.
Leave A Comment